It is a fact that most movies produced have centered on men, something that can be attributed to various factors. One of these is the fact that most films are made by men. To add on to this, most studios are operated by men. Although women also participate in various as directors, film writers, producers and as actors, very few center on them. It is however worth noting that various organizations such as Women in Film & Television have come up to change the scenario, encouraging the production of female movies. Female film producers are particularly encouraged to produce women centered movies. While men centered movies have dominated the scene, what clearly stands out is that studio owners do not realize the great potential that lies in producing woman friendship movies. Considering the fact that women account for 52% of all moviegoers in the US should send studio owners back to the drawing board.
Despite the huge disparity between men and female centered movies however, some women centered movies have been outstanding. Some of these are:
1. Lars & the real girl Movie– Written by Nancy Oliver and directed by Craig Gillespie, Lars & the real girl was released in 2007 and was received well by moviegoers. It went on to receive various nominations and awards including Academy Award for best-written movie, Golden Globe Award for best actor and Satellite Award for best actress amongst others.
2. Hanna Heller Movie – First released in North America in April 1011 and directed by Joe Wright, Hanna movie features actress Soarse Ronan as the main actor. This captivating movie has confounded many critics who have all along held the view that it is only men who can produce perfect and calculated acts.
3. Tank Girl Movie – Released in 1995, Tank Girl, acted by Rebecca is a film that takes more of comedic approach with captivating acts by both Rebecca and her friends as the only living citizens of and on earth.
4. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon Movie – Released 2000 and featuring Michelle Yeoh, and Zhang Ziyi, this is one of the captivating female movies. With miracles, spirits and gods controlling humankind, it is no wonder that warriors in the film float through the air, battle on treetops and skim water.
5. Kill Bill Movie – With volume I released in 2003 to be followed by volume II the following year, ‘The Bride’ and her lover ‘Bill’ are all part of a Viper Assassination Squad. Things however change when ‘The Bride’ discovers that she is pregnant by her lover, when she escapes to Texas and prepares to wed, only to be gunned down by her jealous lover. What follows is captivating.
6. The Star Wars Trilogy Movie – Released in 1977 and later again in 1983 and featuring Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia, this is one of the greatest female movies.
7. Tomb Raider – Initially released in 2001, Tomb Raider featuring Lara Croft (acted by Angelina Jolie). An antiques hunter-for-hire, she hunts in ancient tombs while involving herself in some of the most outstanding actions that leave audiences in suspense. This is certainly one of the best female movies ever produced.
8. House of a 1000 Corpses & The Devil’s Rejects Movie – Acted by Sheri Moon Zombie as Baby Firefly and released twice in 2003 and 2005, this female movie is both fascinating and captivating.
House of a 1000 Corpses
The Devil’s Rejects
9. Sin City Movie – Released in 2005 and featuring Devon Aoki as Miho, ‘Sin City’ is full of criminals and all manner of residents. The movie takes after Miller’s novels, which make it an easy female movie o follow and comprehend.
10. Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, Alien Resurrection Movie – Acted by Sigourney Weaver as Ellen Ripley and released twice in 2002 and 2007, this female movie portrays Ripley as the sole survivor of an alien attack on a ship, to remain incapacitated for a century only to be found by a salvage ship crew who refuse to believe the existence of aliens. What follows is both intriguing and fascinating.
These are just some of the female centered movies of all time. It is possible that with various organizations coming up to encourage the production of more female movies, female moviegoers are bound to have something to smile about in future.