Modern beauty care products have now been around for hundreds of years, with others being availed into the market yearly. Many people especially women are known to purchase and try out every beauty products availed without paying any attention to their formulation. It is therefore not surprising that the number of cancer cases and other health problems are on the rise. In the USA for example, the number of cancer cases has increased to 1 out of three people from as low as 1 out of 800 people over the years.
It is now emerging that most cancer cases reported in women can be traced to beauty products used including shampoos, deodorants, moisturizers, cleansers, toners and other personal care products. Some of these products contain dangerous ingredients or chemicals that are otherwise used in industrial processes and that are not appropriate for use on skin. Below are just a few of the chemicals you should look out for in your beauty products:
- Propylene Glycol – Common referred to as humectants in the cosmetics industry, Propylene Glycol is an industrial anti-freeze ingredient commonly used in brake and hydraulic systems of vehicles. This chemical is widely incorporated in mineral oils as an ingredient. Although manufactures of such minerals oils market their products as very effective for use on dry skin, what they do not inform consumers is the negative effect of Propylene Glycol. This chemical forms an oil film on the skin, in effect suffocating the skin. Long term use of mineral oils containing this chemical leads to immature, unhealthy and sensitive skin.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate – This chemical is widely used in laboratories for testing efficacy of other ingredients. It is also used as an ingredient in garage floor cleansers, car wash detergents and as an engine degreaser. Although the chemical is widely used in personal care beauty products such as shampoos and facial cleansers, it is one of the most dangerous chemicals for use on the skin. This chemical has been tested and found to react with other beauty product ingredients to form carcinogenic nitrates and dioxins. These easily penetrate the skin, ending up in the blood stream. They have the effect of altering proper cell division, in effect causing cancer.
- Diethanolamide (DEA) and Triethanolamine (TEA) – These two chemicals are used as ingredients in beauty products to thicken the same. Because of their grease-cutting properties, they are widely used in dishwashing detergents. These chemicals however react with other beauty product ingredients to form nitrosamines, can easily enter the body. Nitrosamines are carcinogenic and therefore can cause cancer.
- Lanolin – Personal beauty products containing Lanolin are usually the preferred choice by most women. This is mainly because of massive advertising campaigns by manufactures. Although marketed as good for dry skin Lanolin is a skin sensitizer that causes skin rashes. Worse still, Lanolin contains pesticides and dioxins that are otherwise carcinogenic.
- Talc – This is one of the very common chemicals used in face powders, body powders, baby powders and in the manufacture of condoms. This is one of the most dangerous chemicals when used around the genital area as it is a known carcinogen and therefore causes cancer. It is also linked in the occurrence of varied respiratory diseases.
There is no question that personal beauty care products contain very harmful chemicals capable of causing cancer or other health conditions. You certainly need to establish the safety of any product that you by carefully looking at formulation chemicals.