While cracks can appear on any part of your body (skin), your feet are the most likely areas to have such cracks. Cracks particularly may occur along the rims of your feet, including the toes. You are most likely to have cracked feet in adulthood. This does not however mean that children and teenagers cannot develop cracked feet. The possibility of developing cracked feet increases if you are constantly on your feet, exerting pressure on your feet pads most of the time. Note that as you age, the production of sebum decreases, increasing the possibility of developing cracked feet. While cracked feet are not harmful in anyway, it can be problematic when the cracks become deep. This causes pain, which can be severe, restricting your walking.
Symptoms of Cracked Feet
Cracked feet can be unsightly and upsetting. You may not wear open shoes or sandals willingly. While cracked feet are clearly visible, you notice some other symptoms:
- Skin dryness – The skin along the rim of your feet become dry and hard. You are likely to notice reddish patches on the skin. Left unattended, the condition worsens.
- Skin peeling – The skin dryness is followed immediately by peeling of skin, which leads to minor cracks on the skin.
- Itchiness – With peeling, the upper layer of your feet skin shrinks. This causes a lot of pain and discomfort in your feet.
- Bleeding – Bleeding will start if the cracks become deep. This is a serious problem because it increases your risks of contracting other feet infections, which can seriously worsen your condition. Bacterial and yeast infections become highly likely. You movement literally becomes restricted because of severe pain.
Causes of Cracked Feet
Cracked feet can be a serious problem and it is only important that you seek immediate medical attention once you notice the first symptoms of the condition. In most cases, cracked feet are caused by the following factors:
- Dryness – Once the rims of your feet skin become dry, they are likely to break, causing cracks.
- Pressure – Being on your feet most of the time exerts a lot of pressure on your feet, increasing chances of your feet skin cracking.
- Overweight/Obesity – Being overweight or obese increases the amount of pressure on your feet. This increases the risk of developing cracked feet.
- Open shoes/sandals – Wearing open shoes or sandals in the open leads to dryness of the skin. In addition, the fat under your feet spread sideways, increasing the possibility of cracked skin.
- Disease – Certain diseases and health conditions can cause cracked feet. Such include diabetes, Athlete’s foot, Psoriasis and Eczema amongst others.
- Ill-fitting shoes – Wearing ill-fitting shoes leads to change in your walking posture, which contributes to the occurrence of cracked feet.
- Poor hygiene – Living in an unclean environment and neglecting your feet easily leads to cracked feet.
- Poor diet – A poor diet lacking in minerals, vitamins and essential fatty acids necessary for health skin leads to cracked skin.
Remedies to Get Rid of Cracked Feet?
Treating cracked skin can be very difficult, especially if you have thick skin. In case you have contracted bacterial of fungal infection, the same has to be treated first before you can deal with the cracks. The only medications you can use for cracked feet are painkillers to reduce any present pain. Your doctor will likely advice you on remedy measures to take to eliminate cracked feet and prevent their development. Some of these include:
- Application of moisturizer creams to soften your feet skin and therefore eliminate dryness.
- Drinking adequate water on a daily basis to keep the whole of your body properly hydrated. This is bound to rid dryness in your feet skin.
- Eat a diet rich in vitamins, minerals and fatty acids. In particular, eat a diet rich in iron, calcium, zinc and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Feet care – Keep your feet clean. Prevent the accumulation of dust and other impurities from resting on your feet.
- Wear proper fitting shoes.
- Exfoliate your feet skin regular to prevent buildup of dead skin.
The first opinion that one will form noticing with cracked feet is that your hygiene is generally poor. Make it a point to have smooth, clean and healthy feet that you can comfortably show off while on the beach.