Healthy living is all the rage these days. We are constantly besieged by images of healthy-looking men and women but we’re left in the dark on how to achieve it. It looks nearly impossible. You don’t have to worry! If you don’t want to spend long hours in the gym but you want to get stronger, slimmer and fitter then it means that you’re on the right track. It’s also possible that you’re not getting the most out of your workout time!
- Protein : People don’t pay enough attention on what they’re eating sometimes. It’s very important to get protein into your body so your muscles can rebuild. If you don’t then you’re going to get little out of your workout because cardio and strength workouts require protein for building muscles. We recommend whey or soy protein shakes for maximum effect.
- Water : Don’t underestimate water! Always be sure to drink more than eight glasses per day to hydrate your body. It takes a couple of hours for human bodies to absorb water so try to avoid drinking it right after your workout. But make it a habit to consume water regularly to assist your body in the removal of toxins and to control your weight. It’s virtually calorie-free, refreshing and detoxifying. What’s not to love?
- Carbohydrates : Although the latest diet fad says otherwise, carbs are our body’s main source of fuel. If you do intense workouts, you will need carbs or you won’t have energy to burn! It’s important to maintain a balance between all food groups to see a difference in your workout routine. Have a shake but include some carbs like a banana for a great source of low fiber/high glycemic carbs that you need.
- It’s best to take a protein shake just before and after your workout to increase the flow of amino acids during your training and then to stimulate muscle growth.
- For those who are always on the go, get easy-to-pack fruits like oranges and apples, etc so that you can have fruit to take with you wherever you are. It’s also a great source of fiber.
- Smoothies and fresh juices are also a great way to get extra servings of fruit. If you don’t have time to fix a big breakfast or lunch at home, grab some fruits and make a smoothie. This is also a great idea for breakfas
- Pile on more vegetables when you make or order a sandwich. It’s a good source of fiber. Greens will also help you feel fuller and last longer.
- After your workout, try to avoid anything with fat. Why? Fat slows down digestion. In this case, it would slow down the digestion of protein and carbs. As you know, it’s the exact opposite of what you want to happen.