Of all fruit trees, the avocado tree is one of the most cultivated trees around the world. Avocados originated from Mexico and Central America, spreading to other parts of the world. Avocado tress can be found commercially grown in large acres of land in different countries. Avocado trees are also found in most homes, a few trees grown at the backyard. Indonesia, Philippines, USA, Brazil, Sri Lanka, China, Japan, Spain, Australia and South Africa are just some of the countries where avocados are grown for commercial purposes. Various varieties of avocado trees exist, producing different fruit avocado in size and color. Avocado trees are very productive; each tree can produce up to 200 fruit avocado annually.
The most valued part of avocado trees is fruit avocado, which has many health and beauty benefits:
- Food – Fruit avocado is consumed as food in many countries. It is used in the making of varied salads and recipes. A good example is guacamole. This is avocado dip popular in Mexico. It is made by mashing ripe avocado to form a smooth and nutritious paste. Guacamole and other avocado salads are popular in hotels and restaurants around the world. In addition, avocados are consumed as food in some countries where food security is a challenge. Avocado fruits also contain reasonable calorie of avocado amount.
- Source of vitamins – Avocado fruit is rich in vitamins K, B6, C, folic and oleic acids. These vital vitamins and acids help in the prevention and fighting diseases in the body.
- Source of minerals – Avocados are rich in copper and potassium minerals that work alongside body enzymes and vitamins in achieving various body processes.
- Source of oil – Fruit avocado is very rich in avocado oil. Avocado oil contains saturated fat, vitamins and minerals. Avocado for hair prevents the occurrence of dandruff and aids in fast hair growth. Avocado for hair moisturizes the scalp, resulting in healthy hair follicles and hence healthy hair. It allows for moisturized, healthy and radiating skin when applied topically on the skin. Guacamole makes a good avocado mask that is very effective in eliminating facial skin defects.
- Medication – Avocado nutritional values are very effective in alleviating various diseases and ailments. Avocado recipes and avocado dips have traditionally been fed to infants and adults suffering constipation. Avocado crème has been studied and found to be very effective in lowering the level of cholesterol in the blood. This is because of saturated fat and oleic acid content. Facts about avocado indicate that eating avocado recipes and avocado salads aids in the prevention of breast cancer and other heart related ailments. The presence of potassium mineral aids in preventing high blood pressure and other blood circulatory diseases.
Some of the popular avocado recipes include:
- Chopped avocado + Tofu + Tomatoe with mayonnaise dressing.
- Avocado Juice + Honey + Milk
- Avocado + Tuna fish + Lemon
Health and beauty benefits of avocado have popularized avocados worldwide. With scientific studies confirming facts about avocado, the number of avocado trees planted in homes is bound to increase in the coming few years.