Diabetes is a health condition in which you blood contains a high level of glucose. In a normal situation, your body produces enough insulin that acts on the glucose for it to be taken up by your body cells. A high blood sugar therefore means that your body does not produce enough insulin to regulate glucose levels or your body cells do not respond to the insulin produced. This unusual scenario affects your system, leading to frequent urination, thirst and hunger. This is what is medically referred to as diabetes mellitus, which you will simply know as diabetes.
Being diabetic presents a lot of health problems that if not treated and managed can be life threatening. There are various types of diabetes and for your doctor to ascertain what type of diabetes you are suffering from, he/she is certain to recommend varied diabetes test to identify the same. The following are the different types:
- Diabetes mellitus type 1 – Types 1 diabetes occurs if your pancreas stops producing insulin, leading to your body not receiving enough insulin supply. Even after being diagnosed with types 1 diabetes, you will still exhibit a healthy life. This type of diabetes is however common in children.
- Diabetes mellitus type 2 – Diabetes types 2 occurs if your body cells fail to respond to the insulin produced by pancreas. Unlike type 1 diabetes in children, you are likely to suffer from diabetes type 2 as an adult. It is the most prevalent type of diabetes.
- Gestational diabetes – You are likely to suffer from gestational diabetes when pregnant. It occurs due to lack of enough insulin in your system. Although gestational diabetes may disappear soon after delivery, it may also improve and become permanent. In each case, it requires medical attention and close supervision the whole of your pregnancy term.
- Pre-diabetes type – Pre diabetes is a condition in which although you have high blood sugar, the level is not high enough to make you diabetic. It is however occurs that you can eventually be diagnosed with diabetes type 2 after spending a long time in pre diabetes.
- Latent autoimmune diabetes of adults – Otherwise referred to as LADA, it is types 1 diabetes that affects adults instead children. It is possible to be diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes while suffering from LADA. This is however rare.
Causes of diabetes vary greatly and contrary to popular belief, there is no direct relationship between sugar and diabetes. So long as you exercise, excess calories will simply be eliminated. Causes of diabetes include:
- Genetics – You are likely to inherit the condition from your parents if one or both of them are diabetic.
- Pancreatic defects – Your pancreas can be affected by disease, leading to insufficient production of insulin. Such can be because of having chronic pancreatitis, pancreactectomy and neoplasia amongst other defects.
- Infections – Cytomegalovirus infection easily leads to Type 2 diabetes.
- Thyroid infection – Once you develop hyperthyroidism because of an infection of your thyroid gland, you stand a high risk of having diabetes.
You are likely to have varied diabetes symptoms:
- Frequent urination
- Increased thirst
- Increased hunger
- Vision impairment
- Diabetic dermadromes (skin rashes)
Because of its chronic nature, treatment of diabetes is limited and restricted to diabetes insulin, which is used to keep blood glucose levels close to normal. The better part of treatment regime is on management, where you have to maintain high hygiene standard, getting adequate information on the condition. You can obtain such information from various diabetes association groupings. To keep diabetes away, you should undertake exercises to reduce your weight, reduce fat and calorie intake and avoid high protein diets. In case you are already diagnosed with the condition, you need to stick to diet for diabetics. Various diabetic recipes are available that you choose.