Diabetes mellitus is a chronic disease that most women have to deal with at one stage or another in their lives. Are you diabetic?
Types of Diabetes That Effect Women
You are probably suffering or will suffer from one of the following types of diabetes:
- Type 1 diabetes – Although you suffer from this type of diabetes in childhood, it may extend to adulthood (although rarely). You cannot however rule out the possibility.
- Type 2 diabetes – This is the most common type of diabetes in adults and in women in particular.
- Gestational diabetes – This type of diabetes occurs during pregnancy. Chances are that you are likely to suffer this type of diabetes later in life if you develop it during pregnancy.
As an adult woman, you are in danger of suffering from Type 2 or gestational diabetes.
Diet Tips for Women with Diabetes
In case you already have the condition, it is only good that you understand your diet because apart from medications, you can effectively control it through your regular diet. Upon eating or drinking any food, the same is broken down into glucose, a sugar. Glucose provides your body with the necessary energy for your daily activities. Because your body can only obtain the energy through your body cells, insulin hormone must be present. Your body cells cannot take up the glucose in the absence of insulin. Lack of insulin definitely means that the level of sugar in your blood will be high, which is diabetes. It is therefore very necessary to examine your regular diet and act appropriately in managing diabetes. The following food tips should be helpful:
- Carbohydrates – Carbohydrates are very rich in starch and sugar. Eating a diet rich in carbohydrates definitely increase the level of glucose in your blood, worsening your condition. It is therefore very necessary to control the amount of carbohydrates foods you eat. For effective diabetes management, eat the same amount of carbohydrates daily, balancing the same with proteins and fat.
- When to eat – For effective management of diabetes, your eating time is vital. Make it a routine to eat at particular times daily. In particular, consider using powder of seeds of Jambul every morning. Doing so will maintain a safe and healthy level of blood glucose. Do not skip any meal even when travelling.
- How much you eat – This is vital. Make it a routine to eat the same amount of food daily at every meal. Staggering the amount of food you eat fluctuates blood glucose level, which gives you problems.
- High fiber foods – Make it a routine to eat foods high in fiber such as whole grains, vegetables and fruits. Vegetables and fruits will ensure that your body receives vital minerals, vitamins and essential fatty acids.
- Hydration – Keeping your body hydrated is very important. Apart from fruit and vegetable juices, make it a routine to drink adequate amount of water daily.
- Foods for managing Diabetes – Make it a routine to eat foods you may consider unpopular but very useful in managing diabetes. Such include cabbages, capsicum, tubers, bitter gourd, ivy gourd, melon fruit, fenugreek seeds and powder of seeds of Jambul. These have shown the beneficial hypoglycemic influence in the management of diabetes.
Foods to Avoid by Diabetic Women
To benefit from the above measures, you seriously need to avoid certain foods that literally increase the level of glucose in your blood. Such include:
- Avoid drinking alcohol as the same contain sugars.
- Avoid or cut down on caffeine intake. Apart from beverages, chocolate also contain caffeine.
- Avoid high carbohydrate foods because they contain high amounts of starch and sugars.
- Avoid eating red meat. Opt for lean meat instead.
These tips should see you manage your diabetic condition effectively. The good thing is that you do not need to incur heavy expenses in implementing the measures. It is apparent that you can easily manage your condition and live a healthy life.