You certainly want to have a healthy life that will make it possible for you to attain a higher age, a time when you can relax and see your children establish themselves and bring up their own families. There is nothing fulfilling as seeing your grand children pay you a visit and play around. In any case, you want to live and age gracefully. This being your aim, cancer is the last thing you want hear. Although various cancer treatment regimes are available, your thoughts and plans for the future become affected. This is because you never know how it will affect you.
Cancer is a disease that initially affects a group of your body cells. Affected cells start behaving abnormally by, usually through uncontrolled growth. As they outgrow other cells around, they infect other cells and surrounding tissues. Cancer cells can also be transported through your blood stream to other organs of your body, meaning that such an organ will also be affected and become cancerous. Causes of cancer vary and although you can get it through genes, a big number of cancer cases are because of environmental factors. Such include smoking of tobacco, obesity, infections and radiation therapies.
It is a fact that various studies undertaken and that relate to cancer point towards diet and lifestyle as the major causes of cancer. The same studies point towards diet as one of the best ways of managing already diagnosed cancer and in cancer prevention. Towards this end, studies have identified various foods that aid in fighting existing cancer and in its prevention. Some of these wonderful foods include:
- Vegetables – Some particular vegetables have been found to contain vital elements that not only aid in cancer prevention but also fight against and inhibit the spread of cancer. Broccoli, cauliflower, kale and cabbages have been found to contain indole-3, phytochemical sulforaphane and glucoraphanin. These are chemical components with the capacity to destroy and inhibit the growth of cancer cells. For broccoli, these components are to be found in the sprouts. This group of vegetables has been found to fight and prevent breast cancer in both men and women.
- Carrots – Although a vegetable, carrots are grouped differently when it comes to cancer foods because of their unique beta-carotene and falcarinol content. Both beta-carotene and falcarinol components have been found to work against lung, mouth, stomach and intestine cancer. Since cooking destroys these vital components, carrots need to be eaten raw.
- Mushrooms – Most mushroom varieties including shiitake, maitake and reishi contain polysaccharides (Lentinan), lectin (protein) and Thioproline. These phytochemicals help in building up your body’s immune system in addition to attacking and destroying cancer cells.
- Seaweed – Seaweeds contain varied medicinal nutrients that include beta-carotene, protein, vitamin B12, fiber, chlorophyll, chlorophylones, potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron and iodine. All these work with body enzymes to destroy cancer cells.
- Berries – Strawberries, raspberries and blueberries are very rich in ellagic acid, which is very effective in fighting skin, lung, bladder and breast cancers. Blue berries in particular contain the most powerful antioxidants ever found, anthocyanosides.
- Tomatoes – Tomatoes contain lycopene compound, which is very effective against prostate cancer. To obtain the benefit, tomatoes should be eaten raw or as paste or juice.
It thus turns out that diet plays a major role in the occurrence, prevention and treatment of cancer. It is therefore very necessary to stick to a healthy balanced diet made up of the above foods. You need to seriously foods avoid and lifestyle that encourage the occurrence of cancer.