Vaginal smell is what medical professionals refer to as vaginal odor or bacterial vaginosis. The vagina naturally has healthy bacteria within its environment that inform how it naturally smells. Monthly menstrual cycles also inform it smells. Although both the presence of bacteria and changes brought about by monthly menstrual flow contribute to how the vagina naturally smells such other factors as perspiration, infection, and pH imbalance cause an unusual smell.
Unusual smell or odor from the vagina requires immediate attention. This is because it may be a sign of an infection that can extend to the cervix, uterus and into the fallopian tubes. There are various home remedies that are effective in eliminating the vaginal smell.
Yogurt is a powerful remedy for the vaginal smell. It contains lactobacillus, which is a natural healthy bacterium that benefits the body in many ways. The bacterium also helps to balance vaginal pH, which goes a long way in eliminating the vaginal smell.
Eat unsweetened yogurt at least once every day until the smell fades away. You may also choose to apply yogurt in the vaginal canal directly to speed up the process of eliminating the smell. To do this, dip a piece of cotton wool in yogurt. Rub the cotton wool gently around the vagina canal. Remove the cotton wool and leave the yogurt on for at least 20 minutes before cleaning. Do this three times a day to quickly get rid of the vaginal smell.
Fenugreek is a natural herb that has traditionally been used to treat various ailments. Not only does it promote the balancing of hormones in the body but is also good at regulating the menstrual cycle.
- Soak fenugreek seeds in clean drinking water overnight.
- Strain the seeds off before drinking the water in the morning. It is good to drink it on empty stomach for best results.
- Do this every morning for a fortnight to get rid of vaginal odor. You can also crush fenugreek seeds and add the resultant pieces in a small amount of water. Boil the water to release all the nutrients into the water. Use the water to clean vaginal canal every day for a week to eliminate the vaginal smell or odor.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is both an anti-fungal and anti-microbial agent. It is very good at balancing vaginal pH.
Consider adding about two cups to a reasonable amount of warm water. Stir the water to mix up well before sitting the water for at least 20 minutes before cleaning up. Do this daily for a week to treat vaginal odor. You may also choose to soak a tampon in the water before inserting the tampon into the vaginal canal and leaving on for at least 30 minutes before removing it and cleaning up.
Garlic contains powerful anti-bacterial properties. It is very effective in treating vaginal smell brought about by a bacterial infection.
- Crush garlic cloves first thing in the morning.
- Add the paste to warm water and drink on an empty stomach. You may also choose to apply the paste directly in the vaginal canal, (it could cause irritation), you can also put the paste in a clean cotton cloth and insert inside your vagina. Leave the paste on or cloth inside for at least 5-10 minutes before washing it off.
Do this for only a few days to get rid of the vaginal smell.
In addition to a high amount of vitamin C, Amla is a powerful blood purifier. Eating raw Amla goes a long way in treating any infection and eliminating the vaginal smell.
Consider mixing a spoonful of Amla powder with a small amount of honey. Stir the mixture to obtain a uniform thick solution. Drink the solution at least twice a day for a fortnight to treat vaginal smell.
6. Tea Tree Oil
This is a powerful natural antiseptic that is very effective against germs.
- Dilute a reasonable amount of tea tree oil with honey.
- Clean your vagina with the solution twice per day for a week to clear any odor.
It is very important that you avoid using undiluted tea tree oil because it can cause irritation and burning sensation.
7. Baking Soda
Baking soda is very effective in balancing pH, which may be the reason why you experience vaginal odor.
- Mix about 2 spoonfuls of baking soda with a reasonable amount of clean drinking water.
- Drink the solution at least once daily for a week.
- You may also choose to add baking soda to clean water that you use to clean the vaginal canal. You should be able to get rid of the vaginal smell in as short as three days.
8. Cranberry Juice
Cranberry is a powerful detoxifier. It also contains natural acid that is effective in maintaining a low level of bacteria.
Drink cranberry juice at least once every day first thing in the mornings to flush toxins from your body system, balance level of healthy bacteria in your body, and to treat any urinary track infection that can cause a vaginal smell.
These are powerful home remedies that are very effective in getting rid of the vaginal smell. Even so, it will be very important that you go for tests to ascertain the cause of such smell. This is because any vaginal smell can mean an infection can cause serious damage to your reproduction system.