Stomach worms are parasites that live within your gastro-intestinal tract. They include both protozoans and helminths. They include tapeworms, hookworms, pinworms, roundworms and threadworms. Stomach worms have a serious effect on your health. The fact that they live on the food you eat means that they literally compete with your body for the vital nutrients that your body requires for proper growth and development. Although common in children, adults too are at risk of having stomach worms.
There are several ways through which you cane end up having stomach worms. Eating uncooked food, unwashed food, drinking contaminated water and exposing your skin to larva as to contaminated soil are the major ways through which you can eventually have stomach worms. Once you ingest the larva, the same ends up in the intestines where they populate, colonizing the intestinal tract eventually.
Symptoms of Stomach Worms
The fact that some stomach worms can travel to other parts of your body such as into your lungs means that their symptoms are similar to those of other health conditions and diseases. Because of this fact, it is only through laboratory tests that your doctor can be able to diagnose whether you have the worms or not. In children, stomach worms present such symptoms as irritability and restlessness. The most common symptoms you are likely to experience include
- Abdominal pain
- Chest pain
- Rectal hemorrhage
- Digestive disturbance
- Joint pain
- Weigh loss
- Body fatigue
- Muscle spasms
- And lung congestion amongst many other symptoms.
Laboratory tests for diagnosing stomach worms mainly involve stool samples, which show presence of worms or larva. In some cases, an adhesive is applied to the anus to search for and establish presence of larva.
Natural Treatment for Stomach Worms
Conventionally, various medications are available for eliminating these worms. The medications are basically poisons designed to kill the worms. Apart from such medications, you can easily get rid of stomach worms in a natural way by simply using varied items. These are mostly herbal remedies that kill the worms. Such are in form of dried extracts packaged in capsules, teas or powder form. They include:
- Garlic – Garlic is readily available in various forms including in capsules, tablet or as whole cloves. Garlic is very effective in killing varied stomach worms including roundworms.
- Goldenseal – Goldenseal is one of the oldest herbal remedies known to mankind. Apart from treating respiratory infections, berberine (the active ingredient) has been established to be very effective in killing stomach worms.
- Black Walnut – Juice extract of Black Walnut has traditionally been used in treating athlete’s foot disease. Drinking the juice has also been established to kill stomach worms within the intestinal tract.
- Wormwood – Wormwood has traditionally been used for killing stomach worms. It basically works by weakening parasite membranes. It can be found in various forms including as tea, capsule and as liquid extract.
- Pumpkin seeds – Pumpkin seeds have traditionally been consumed to kill stomach worms. The seeds are cooked then mashed and mixed with any juice before drinking.
These are just some of the many natural ways through which you can get rid stomach worms. It is always recommended that you cleanse your stomach after you have killed the worms. Consuming a high fiber diet and drinking a lot of water is highly recommended.