While you develop and grow white teeth in childhood, the same is bound to change in color because of exposure to various factors. Such include aging, which affects the color of your teeth because of changes in your teeth mineral structure, leading to your teeth enamel becoming less porous. Foodstuffs, tobacco use, certain medications and bacteria also contribute to changes in your teeth color.
Having colored teeth will not only make you uncomfortable when in the presence of others but also hinder you from expressing yourself freely. It may be necessary to look for ways of getting white teeth. Some of the ways you may consider include:
- Teeth bleaching – This is a cosmetic dentistry procedure in which a cosmetic dentist used varied agents to whiten your teeth.
- At-home bleaching – This is provided to you by a cosmetic doctor for application at home. Such may be in addition to treatment you receive at a dentist’s premises.
- Over-the-counter bleaching – These are teeth whitening substances that you buy from pharmacy stores and other outlets for your own use at home. Such include teeth whitening toothpaste, chewing gums and rinses amongst others.
Side Effects of Teeth Bleaching
While you will obtain white teeth by using of the above methods, you should remain alive to the possible side effects. Such include:
- Burns – bleaching chemicals can burn your gums. This happens when a concentrated bleaching agent is used. You may end up with discolored mucous membrane.
- Over bleaching – You may end up with extra-white teeth.
- Pain – You may experience pain if you have sensitive teeth.
- Teeth Sensitivity – You may end up with increased hot or cold sensitivity, which can seriously affect your eating.
- Risk of Tongue Cancer – Although rare, there is increased risk of tongue cancer.
Home Remedy for Teeth Whitening
Obtaining white teeth should not be an expensive affair. You have the alternative of making your own teeth whitening bleach right at home using common ingredients. What you need to have are baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. Measure a spoonful of baking soda into a small bowl and add a reasonable amount of hydrogen peroxide. Constitute a paste by thoroughly mixing the two. Because you may not be comfortable with the resultant taste, you may include mint flavor to subdue the harsh taste.
Use the resultant paste the same way as you would use normal toothpaste, ensuring that you do not swallow it. Once through, use your normal toothpaste to perform another round of brushing. This is ideally to rid your mouth of the peroxide. You will be amazed by how white your teeth will be. To maintain the same, you will need to do this periodically.
Tips for Oral Hygiene
There is no point in having white teeth while ignoring your general oral health, your breath counts. The following tips should assist you have white teeth accompanied by healthy breathe.
- Do not over use any teeth whitening bleach.
- If you still have bad breathe after taking care of your oral health, pay attention to your diet and in particular, flavorings you use such as garlic and onions. You may consider stopping your smoking habit if you smoke.
- Visit your dentist at least twice in a year to get a picture of your oral health (including your teeth).
- Replace your toothbrush after every 3 months and while at that, go for soft toothbrush.