Are you going crazy about fat-free diet? Then you must know that there are some special types of fat, named ‘Omega-3s’, which can truly help you improve your health by preventing a number of ailments. It is true that most of the serious impairments of health are nothing but the results of dietary fat intake. But before eliminating fat from your diet completely, you must consider the healthy aspects of this ‘healthy fat’. Here are some basic but important facts regarding the sources and benefits of omega-3s:
Sources of Omega 3s
Omega-3s are basically categorized as polyunsaturated fats and contain three types of fatty acids: Alpha-linolenic Acid (ALA), Eicosapentaenoic (EPA), and Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA). ALA is mainly found in flaxseed, hempseed, linseeds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, soybeans, canola oil, soybean oil, pumpkin seed oil, walnut oil etc. Algae and certain coldwater fish such as albacore tuna, sardines and salmon are rich sources of DHA. On the other hand, coldwater fish like salmon, and sardines are also rich in EPA. However, EPA can also be found in halibut, herring, mackerel, and cod liver.
Nowadays, a special type of omega-3 enriched eggs is available in the market. To produce these omega-3 eggs, flaxseed or algae are mixed with the diets of hens. According to the study, these eggs can provide almost the same amount of ‘healthy fat’ that can be taken by eating at least 3 ounces of fish.
Numerous health benefits of Omega 3s
As our body itself is not capable of producing omega-3s, the external intake of these ‘essential fatty acids’ is a must for human beings. Several researches have successfully proved that omega-3s are important constituents of the brain and they influence our different cognitive functions, behavior etc. Omega-3s may also:
- Reduce the formation of plaque as well as blood clots in blood vessels linked to brain which eventually keeps those arteries well.
- Fight cholesterol by minimizing the level of triglycerides and triggering the level of ‘good cholesterol’ HDL in the bloodstream.
- Reduce inflammation caused due to inflammatory diseases like arthritis, cardiac disorders etc.
- Strengthen nervous coordination and enhance mental health by decreasing impairments such as eating disorders, bipolar disorder, depression, schizophrenia, ADHD etc.
- Help soothe asthma irritation and take care of lung health.
- Relieve the pain caused due to Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) and menstruation which ultimately leads to an improved menstrual health.
- Prevent breast cancer, prostate cancer and colon cancer.
- Keep joints healthy by decreasing the problems such as joint stiffness, swelling or tenderness that are often caused by diseases like arthritis and osteoarthritis.
- Improve the level of calcium in our body and maintain bone health by ending bone loss.
- Make bowel health better by alleviating the causes or signs of inflammatory bowel disease, ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease.
- Help in fetal development.
- Make skin less prone to certain disorders such as psoriasis, acne etc. and add to skin health.
Omega-3s are so good for you that you will never be able to ban fat ‘ruthlessly’ from your food from the next time, right? So, just go on your way and improve your health by eating ‘fat’. Now that is something to brag about!