Gaining excess weight during pregnancy is very normal. Note that with pregnancy, you are bound to have healthy buildup of body fluids, your uterus increases in size (and weight), uterine fluid and the weight of the growing baby. Add to this your own increased weight and your overall resultant weight is bound to be enormous. It is also normal to be eager to get back into shape after delivery.
In order to shed off pregnancy weight, it is very important to know that your baby is still dependent on you for food (breast milk) and you need to be careful with what weight loss program you choose. In order to shed off pregnancy weight safety, do not embark on any weight loss program soon after delivery. It is very important to give yourself time to recover from labor, delivery and any pregnancy stress. Note that you will still be going for postpartum checkup during the first six months. It is also important to give your baby time to breast feed adequately. You need to give your baby at least two months before you embark on any weight loss program.
Because you are still breastfeeding, it is not advisable to embark on any weight loss program. For your own benefit and that of your baby, opting for a suitable diet is the safest way to shed off pregnancy weight. However, keep it in mind that you will not be ale to return to your pre-pregnancy shape that soon. You have to be realistic and avoid expecting too much weight loss. The kind of foods to help you in shedding pregnancy weight should be healthy, taking your baby’s breastfeeding need in mind. It is also important to embrace exercises in your effort to shed off weight. Your focus should be on loosing fat rather than reducing your muscle mass. Such exercises need not to be strenuous; even a little walk in the evenings with your baby in a stroller should do, so long as it is on a regular basis.
What foods to eat after pregnancy to loss weight?
- Fruits – Fruits are rich in vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids. Your body cells and enzymes take up these nutrients and use in varied body processes, including in the metabolism of excess fat in the body. Note that eating fruits has a positive effect on blood cholesterol levels. Make it a routine to eat bananas, flaxseed, blueberries, mangoes, oranges, pomegranates, strawberries, sunflower seeds, grapes and popcorns.
- Nuts – Nuts are rich in vital minerals, proteins and saturated oils. These nutrients are very important in building your body muscles while eliminating unnecessary fat deposits. Instead of refined rains, make it a routine to eat whole grains. Source for beans and soybeans amongst others.
- Drinks – You need to keep your body properly hydrated for your baby and own benefit. While drinking liquids will make adequate breast milk available for your baby, you benefit greatly because liquids play a vital role in the metabolism of ingested fat. Apart from drinking adequate water on a daily basis, make it a routine to drink grape juice, green tea, mild caffeine drinks and fat-free dairy milk.
- Vegetables – Like fruits, vegetables contain vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids. Go for leafy green and dark vegetables. Make it a routine to eat adequate amounts of cabbages, broccoli, spinach and kale amongst others.
- Meat – Although you are intent on shedding off pregnancy weight, your body still needs protein and you cannot avoid meat. Instead of red meat, eat lean organic meat of poultry and turkey. You can also eat fish and egg york.
- Oils – Your body still needs oil and it is important to examine the kind of oils you use in your cooking. Instead of solid oils, use unrefined vegetable oils, olive oil and sunflower oil amongst others.
By sticking to the above foods, you can easily shed pregnancy weight in a safe way and return to your pre-pregnancy shape. The key is to figure out your eating choices and exercises that suit your situation.