What You Need
Flour(Self-Raising) 8 oz(225 g)
Raisins 1 oz(30 g)
Baking Powder 1/2 teaspoon
Salt 1/4 teaspoon
Caster Sugar 1 oz(30 g)
Milk 4 fl oz(120 ml)
Butter 1 1/2 oz(45 g)
Cream or Milk 2-3 tablespoons
Preperation Time:20 min
Baking Time: 10 min
What to do
1. Mix flour, salt, baking powder and then add sugar to it in a medium sized bowl.
2. Add Butter to the dry mixture and rub it until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add raisins.
3. Add three-quarters of the milk and mix it with a knife. Add the remaining milk, if needed, to make a soft dough. Do not over-mix as it will make the scones tough and not soft.
4. Turn out the soft dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to 3/4 inch thick.
5. Cut out the scones with a 2 inch(5 cm) floured cutter. If there are any trimmings left, roll them into a ball. Cut more scones.
6. Place the scones on the baking sheet and brush the tops with the milk or cream.
7. Bake near the top of the oven for 10-12 minutes or until the scones have risen. Keep in mind they should be lightly browned on top and the bases sound hollow when tapped. Cool them on a wire rack.
Tip: Preheat the oven to 425 oF(220 oC). Grease a baking sheet or line it with baking parchment.